Vision, mission and values
Our students have four key beliefs underpinning learning:
- Everyone has the right to be treated in a caring and friendly manner.
- Everyone has the right to be safe.
- Everyone has the right to have his / her belongings and property treated
- Everyone has the right to learn.
The schools mission is based on the Melbourne Declaration - Educational Goals for Young Australians (2008)
As successful learners they will:
Students at Grovedale West Primary School will be provided with an education that will enable them to become:
- Have an active role in their own learning
- Have essential skills in literacy and numeracy
- Be creative and productive users of technology
- Be able to think critically and logically
- Be able to problem solve in a critical and creative manner
- Have a sense of self worth and personal identity
- Be optimistic and demonstrate a positive mindset
- Be enterprising and show creative initiative
- Demonstrate personal values such as honesty, resilience, empathy and respect for others
- Have the knowledge and skills to maintain healthy satisfying lives
As active and informed citizens they will
- Act with moral and ethical integrity
- Appreciate Australia’s social, cultural, linguistic and religious diversity along with an understanding of government, culture and history
- Understand and value indigenous cultures and reconciliation
- Character education - honesty, self-regulation and responsibility, perseverance, empathy for contributing to the safety and benefit of others, self-confidence, personal health and well-being, career and life skills.
- Citizenship -global knowledge, sensitivity to and respect for other cultures, active involvement in addressing issues of human and environmental sustainability.
- Communication - communicate effectively orally, in writing and with a variety of digital tools; listening skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving - think critically to design and manage projects, solve problems, make effective decisions using a variety of digital tools and resources.
- Collaboration - work in teams, learn from and contribute to the learning of others, social networking skills, empathy in working with diverse others.
- Creativity and imagination - economic and social entrepreneurialism, considering and pursuing novel ideas, and leadership for action.