Vision, mission and values
Our school values are based around the desire to support all members of our school community, (students, staff and families) to be:
Responsible Inspiring Strong Empathetic
The schools mission is based on the Melbourne Declaration - Educational Goals for Young Australians (2008)
As successful learners they will:
- Have an active role in their own learning
- Have essential skills in literacy and numeracy
- Be creative and productive users of technology
- Be able to think critically and logically
- Be able to problem solve in a critical and creative manner
- Have a sense of self worth and personal identity
- Be optimistic and demonstrate a positive mindset
- Be enterprising and show creative initiative
- Demonstrate personal values such as honesty, resilience, empathy and respect for others
- Have the knowledge and skills to maintain healthy satisfying lives
As active and informed citizens they will
- Act with moral and ethical integrity
- Appreciate Australia’s social, cultural, linguistic and religious diversity along with an understanding of government, culture and history
- Understand and value indigenous cultures and reconciliation
The development of young learners at GWPS is also underpinned by the 6cs. (Fullan)
The overall purpose of the six Cs and their underlying structure is the well-being of the whole student, and the well-being of society, which essentially consists of higher levels of student achievement and the capacity to apply what one knows.
- Character education - honesty, self-regulation and responsibility, perseverance, empathy for contributing to the safety and benefit of others, self-confidence, personal health and well-being, career and life skills.
- Citizenship -global knowledge, sensitivity to and respect for other cultures, active involvement in addressing issues of human and environmental sustainability.
- Communication - communicate effectively orally, in writing and with a variety of digital tools; listening skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving - think critically to design and manage projects, solve problems, make effective decisions using a variety of digital tools and resources.
- Collaboration - work in teams, learn from and contribute to the learning of others, social networking skills, empathy in working with diverse others.
- Creativity and imagination - economic and social entrepreneurialism, considering and pursuing novel ideas, and leadership for action.